As the saying goes, ‘Learning a new language introduces you to a new culture’.
My passion for learning languages was kindled by my insatiable desire for knowledge, and over the years passed it has been kept alive with my fervent wish to introduce myself to and absorb the customs and beliefs, art and literature, way of life and attitudes of other nations. Thus my cultural awareness has been increased providing for my enriched interpersonal exchanges and experiences.
My career as a teacher and translator also flowed from my love for languages. With a strong academic background in English/Russian/Spanish Studies and working as an in-house translator (more than 10 years), covering a great variety of different areas, and/or a part-time translator & proofreader for a consulting firm, social service providers, translation & localization companies, and translation agencies, I have gained extensive experience in:
- Translating, editing and proofreading texts ranging from internal company documents including financial documents, legal contracts, and reports, to educational, medical, and technical texts, to websites, webpages, projects, advertising and promotional material, as well as texts related to international and national conferences, forums, seminars, and workshops, such as PP presentations, video presentations, agendas, programmes, minutes, toolkits, methodological guides, etc.
- Translating, editing and proofreading online news from Bulgarian into English and vice versa
- Translating texts related to EU Strategies, Initiatives & Policies on Employment, Social Affairs and Inclusion, Disability, Equal Opportunities, the UNCRPD; International Organization Development and Partnership
- Subtitling (+ timecoding) the BBC documentaries, TV programmes and commercials, films and series
- Providing tutoring services to EFL students and to staff members and business professionals seeking proficiency in English and Russian (as a certified teacher in both the languages)
Speaking about myself I would say that I am hard-working, reliable, fully aware of diversity and multicultural issues, and quick to grasp new ideas and concepts, and to develop innovative and creative solutions to translating problems and challenges such as linguistic or cultural ‘untranslatability’. I am able to work well on own initiative, have an eye for detail, and can demonstrate the high levels of motivation required to meet the tightest of deadlines.